Friday, December 29, 2006

My life

It's been awhile since I've really updated. I have successfully completed three of my four finals, and my last paper - for the Board of Directors seminar - is due in two days. When I finish that up, life will become much more relaxing.

A summary of life:

-Matt and I had a Christmas party here in Ann Arbor. Matt made delicious pizzettes, and guests brought ornaments to hel pus decorate our tree. We ended up with an angel, a Santa, a snowman, a tree, some glass ornaments, and even one that was homemade. A guest commented that they were excited to bring an ornament, because it seems wrong to buy ornaments for yourself. They should be special, should have a story. Now we finally have a start to our collection, and they all come from great friends.

-I went back to Cedar Falls for break. While I was home, I met up with Cam at Soho Sushi, went to the Stuffed Olive/Voodoo Lounge/Pump Haus with Jill and Andrea, drank a good bottle of merlot with Braden, and threw the annual Christmas party. This year's Christmas party was different than the ones in years past - a little quieter and a little calmer, with fewer attendees. It was nice to have a more relaxing evening really catching up with the people in attendance. We even discovered an incredibly outdated Outburst game that we played a little. (An answer to the category, Things You Do While Driving: dictating notes. Talk on a cell phone was notably absent.)

-My little sister and mom were also around for the holidays, so I got a lot of quality family time. We watched movies, opened presents, visited my grandma and aunt and uncle, and generally relaxed. I came down with some sort of cold/flu thing, so relaxation was entirely necessary.

-Presents were abundant this year. I got cute purses, gift certificates galore, a deluxe Scrabble game (with the fancy turntable and everything), kitchen gadgets, makeup and clothing. The only thing missing was books. I didn't get a single book for Christmas this year (unless you count the Scrabble dictionary to go with my new board - I don't.) This surprised me. I'm used to getting books for Christmas. Surprising books, that I never would have picked out for myself, or good classics. I guess I'll have to start putting them on my Christmas list rather than just hoping someone will buy some for me.

That's all from here. Now I'm back in Ann Arbor, working today, and trying to polish off my seminar paper. I'll try to be better about updating now that I'm back!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today’s final spelling dilemma is, of course, the word dilemma. A simple compound of Greek origin, meaning literally two (di) and arguments (lemma).. Quite literally, it means to be caught between the two horns of an argument, unable to decide on one or the other.

Needless to say, my spelley-sense started tingling like crazy while reading the latest fine and thought-provoking post by Michael Bierut at Designobserver.com — in which it was spelled dilemna multiple times, albeit in a quote from someone else.

A quick tour of the Googlescape reveals that for some reason, nearly an entire generation of American adults in some parts of the country was taught to spell “dilemma” as “dilemna,” but no dictionary on the planet, going back however many years, has this on record. Was it a misprinted teachers’ manual? Badly transcribed handwriting? A back-formation from a similar ending with silent Ns, like “solemn?”

The mind boggles. Or should I say, “myzplexq.”

8:12 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, anonymous, for the insightful comment. I have no clue why "dilemna" is correct in my head. Maybe you are right that it is somehow connected to solemn... meanwhile, I'm glad I finally learned the proper spelling. You'd think someone with four years of graduate education would be able to spell an (almost) every day word like dilemma.

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i lyk the word dilemna, it sounds more awsomish =]

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home