Sunday, March 05, 2006

Detroit Rock City

I have never been a big music person. I own a few dozen CDs, most obtained in junior high (think Greenday's "Dookie"), and haven't broadened my listening sphere much since then. I own an iPod shuffle only because I won one in a drawing. However, over break, I was inspired by a few friends to start listening to music again. Adam introduced me to the Garden State soundtrack, which I'm sure all of you owned two years ago. I told you I was a bit behind. I loved it on the first listen and have already purchased it from iTunes. In Fort Lauderdale, Adrienne brought me up to date on hip dance-y music. Now I understand the buzzes around Kanye West and Chris Brown. And I arrived home at the end of break to a package from my more musically-inclined friend Kate; said package contained (among other things) "Stephanie's Super Fun Happy Golden Birthday Mix 2006". Awesome!

I realize that I can't limit my music knowledge to Journey and the Counting Crows forever, so my goal is to try a bit of new stuff. Hopefully y'all can help me out here. Send suggestions of bands or songs to try. Even better, burn and send/give me a CD of your favorites. I will thank you with delicious baked goods. Seriously, bring on the new music!

2 Comments:

Blogger Goat said...

While I'm no music afficianado myself, but here are two albums I recently bought that I enjoyed:

The Killers: "Hot Fuss"
The White Stripes: "Get Behind Me Satan"
Modest Mouse: "Good News for People Who Like Bad News"

I also enjoy Franz Ferdinand, The Strokes, Foo Fighters, etc. Guess I'm kind of on an Alternative/Indie Rock kick right now...

2:55 PM  
Blogger Goat said...

Ooh, forgot to mention some Irish rock. "Drunken Lullabies" by Flogging Molly is awesome.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home