Monday, January 29, 2007

A reformed veggie lover

I realized that my tastes have changed -- grown, mostly -- over the last three years. Dating Matt has been the catalyst.

Though I love food, I am not an adventurous eater. I eat meat, a few fruits, a few vegetables, and a whole lot of carbohydrates. Matt has changed all that. When I told him I didn't like a food, he would inquire further. Had I ever tried the food? (Many times, the answer was no, or I can't remember.) When was the last time I tried the food? (Probably once, years and years ago.) He was rather gentle in his pushing me to try new things. If I tried it again and still didn't like it, he didn't press me.

A few other folks have been catalysts for my food development, too many for me to thank. My neighbor, Mr. Robinson, got me to try my first fish - catfish. My old roommate Jenny got me to try, and eventually love, sushi. Working for a law firm for the summer allowed me to order all sorts of exotic entrees at great restaurants without having to worry about having to pay for something I wasn't sure I'd like.

Thanks to all those people, I eat raw fish sushi. I eat asparagus. I eat white fish and salmon. I eat beets. I eat edamame. Sure, it's slow progress, but it's something. Who knows what I will be eating another three years from now?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi steph, i just wanted to say belated congrats on the engagement, august is a lovely wedding time. we got married a few days before the
"engagement"...enjoy!!!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Goat said...

Yes, but have you had haggis? Eat that and I'll be impressed (and disgusted)

5:43 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Hey Ingrid, I didn't know you were out there! How's it going? Are you still in Germany?

And Scott, I have actually had haggis. When I studied abroad in London we went up to Scotland... I took one bold bite and then left the rest. :)

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home