Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Lent time

So it's time for Lent. Matt and I celebrated Mardi Gras today with a bunch of fresh paczki from Copernicus Deli and Market. They brought them in from Hamtramck, which is basically an all-Polish community inside Detroit. Neither of us had ever had a paczki before. At the recommendation of the nice Polish lady working there, we bought four at ninety-nine cents apiece. One rose, one plum/prune, one lemon and one bavarian cream. Both of us loved the bavarian cream. My second favorite was the lemon; Matt liked the plum/prune mixture. Sure, this didn't quite fit in with my Weight-Watchers, but I figured it was a special occasion.

Now it's time to make Lenten resolutions. Every year I try to promise to do something good and to give up something bad. Last year, I gave up Diet Coke. I also promised to write a letter to a friend every day during Lent (isn't real mail great?).

This year, my current resolutions are as follows:

1) I'm giving up computer games. I'm not a huge computer gamer, but I often play little games like Minesweeper and Freecell. Sometimes I even splurge with totally silly games like Bejeweled, Sim Tower, Diner Dash, Chip's Challenge or the sheep game. I know! It's terrible. So for Lent, I propose giving them up entirely.

2) I'm taking on a running resolution - training for and completing a 10K by the time Lent is over. I've only got six weeks, but I think it's feasible. It's just going to take hard work.

What do y'all think? What are you giving up? And do you have better ideas for me?

1 Comments:

Blogger Raoul Duke said...

Hamtramck's not all-Polish by any means. The 2k census broke down like this:

Polish - 26%
Black or African American - 15% ยท Yugoslavian - 12%
Arab - 11%
Asian Indian - 7%
Arab/Arabic - 6%
Bangladeshi - 5%
Ukrainian - 4%
German - 3%
Albanian - 3%
Other Arab - 3%
Irish - 2%
Italian - 2%
Russian - 2%
English - 1%
French (except Basque) - 1%
Lebanese - 1%
Pakistani - 1%
Scottish - 1%
Macedonian - 1%
Mexican - 1%
Iraqi - 1%

hamtramckstar.com

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home